What does an Agile Leader LOOK like?
Thoughts from President, Rikki Schwartz
The problem with our beliefs is we tend to believe them. Once accepted, beliefs can become a reality that is hard to alter. Agile leaders constantly challenge their beliefs and assumptions so they can meet the needs of the moment, versus clinging to a cause that is perhaps already lost.– Gary Bradt, Bradt Leadership, Inc.
That quote from Mr. Bradt resonates deeply with me…and should resonate with all Agile Leaders. So, since I’m often asked “What is an Agile Leader?”, I thought I’d use that quote as a kind of reflective surface with which to break down what it LOOKS LIKE to be a leader that is 100% COMMITTED to inspecting and adapting.
Remember – it’s not just about what you DO…it’s what you LOOK LIKE while you’re doing it!
1. Agile leaders ASK powerful questions, LISTEN deeply to the answers, and GRATEFULLY USE that information to make key strategic decisions.
2. Agile leaders inspire CREATIVITY and INNOVATION in their teams, by MODELING it and EXPECTING it.
3. Agile leaders THRIVE in the face of UNCERTAINTY and CHANGE; they PIVOT with CALM and CONFIDENCE.
4. Agile leaders don’t let their egos stand in the way of change; they HAPPILY LET GO of what isn’t working.
5. Agile leaders take PLEASURE in LEARNING and GROWING.
6. Agile leaders HUMBLY SHIFT their management/communication/recognition styles to ALIGN WITH THEIR EMPLOYEES’ NEEDS.
So leaders…it’s time to hold up your mirrors with those 6 descriptors in mind. Do you LOOK LIKE a Truly Agile Leader? Or do you still need to work on one or more of these areas? Please leave your replies below; we’d love to hear which ones come less easily…or less naturally… to you than others.
Learn, Love, Lead,